Yield: 16 sliders
- 16 cheese cubes
- 16 basil leaves
FOR THE CRISPY CHICKEN MEDALLIONS
- 4 chicken breast halves, pounded and flattened to an even thickness, and each half sliced into 4 portions
- 1 cup all-purpose-flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsps cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 ground black pepper
- Eggs, as needed
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Cooking oil, for deep-frying
- In your first container, combine flour, salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper and mix well. In your second container, beat your eggs. In your last container, add breadcrumbs and parsley and mix well.
- Preheat oil in a shallow pan over medium-low heat. Take one 1/4 of a chicken breast half and coat it with your flour mixture. Then drench it in your eggs. And lastly, in your breadcrumb mixture. Continue this process until all chicken breasts are coated.
- Deep-fry until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange fried chicken breasts in a single layer in a baking dish and top each with one cheese cube.
- Bake until the cheese is fully melted.
FOR THE RED SAUCE
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 1 small carrot, finely minced
- 1 (400 g) can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, unpacked
- Salt, as needed
- Pepper, as needed
- Preheat sauce pan on low heat. Saute garlic and onions until onions become translucent.
- Stir in carrots, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in diced or crushed tomatoes and add bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes while it is partially covered.
- After 15 minutes, stir in brown sugar and adjust to desired taste. Simmer again on low heat for an additional 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens while it is partially covered.
- Toast bread until nicely browned and slightly crunchy.
- Spread a good amount of red sauce on the bottom half of bread.
- Top with fried chicken breast and garnish with another spoonful of the red sauce and one basil leaf.
- Cover with top buns and enjoy!